I am poor with lyrics.
In fact, I am dismal with them.
However, a number of lyrics have stuck in my head and really meant something to me over the years.
Here then is my Top Ten lyrics list (of Caribbean music of course, the US has enough lists to last for generations)
Top 10 Lyrics
- Caught me on the loose fighting to be free, now you show me a noose under cotton tree, entertainment for you, martyrdom for me. – Third World
- Watch out my children, they got a fellah call Lucifer with a bag of white powder. He don’t want to powder yah face, but to bring shame and disgrace to the human race. – Ras Shorty I
- Tell them they can keep they money, I goin’ keep mine honey and die with my dignity. – Singing Sandra
- Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind – Bob Marley.
- West Indian politician, I check out yah evil ploy, the more you sing, the more you sound like Westminster choir boy. – Mighty Gabby
- Get up in the morning slaving for bread sir, so that every mouth can be fed. – Desmond Dekker
- The country sick, the country ain’t well, see it as a person and then you will tell. – Red Plastic Bag
- So let we live our whole lives, forIvah and Ivah. – Isasha
- I am the seed of me father, he is the seed of my grandfather. – Jahaji Bhai
- Black woman and child, for you I have so much love. – Sizzla
What are some of yours?